Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Taking my son fishing!


I wanted to post something about my favorite Summer activity! FISHING!  I had been wanting to get my son Andrew to go out with us and fish, spend sometime in the sun and bond a bit.  I mentioned to hubby that if we did it would be a good idea to go get him a new rod and reel when I picked up his license and he agreed.  Son and I then jumped in the car and headed on over to Sportsmans wearhouse!  The guy was awesome and very helpful and we finally picked a rod and reel that son liked. 

The reel is so pretty! Andrew was quiet so while the guy was putting line on it for us we checked out power baits and grabbed some worms and chicken livers.  He decided he needed to try some crappie bait so we threw that in the cart.  After we got the rod and were heading to the front to check out Andrew mumbled that maybe he would like to see the fishing vests.  I said ok and we went over and checked one out and I ended up throwing one of those in the cart.  He then spotted the hat and after trying it on and having me tell him it was a perfect fit and looked like it was made for him- we threw that in as well.  It was a spurge but money well spent!  I kept thinking of the line " Sometimes ya gotta give alittle to get alittle"

We then headed down to Swan Falls for some light fishing.  We decided to fish off the dock for a while and he was hooked more than the fish when he started getting bites.  The fish and game guys came by and checked us and aside from being glad I had gotten him his license they were friendly and chatted a bit and left.  Hubby then got interested and grabbed his pole and the two of them joked about who was catching more.  It was fun.  The next day we took our little boat to CJ strike and fished the narrows.  Not much bitting, but Andrew managed to catch a small mouth bass.  He was so excited and we put it in the fish well.

When we were done that night, Andrew realized the fish was still alive so we gave him the option of cooking it up or throwing it back.  he decided to let it live so after taking a photo we took him back and after some fish CPR (holding the fish in the water and moving him back and forth - NOT mouth to mouth) the fish took off and swam away.  Andrew then joked and said he felt like fishy Jesus cause he brought the fish back to life.  He then remarked that if we came back it would be the second coming of Fishy Jesus!  He is just too funny!
Lund boat (click on photo for link)
Here is a stock photo of what our boat looks like somewhat.   I realized I dont have any photos of our boat so I will have to take one.

I think my husband would love it if Andrew entered the pro fishing circut and they travel around pulling a tournament boat.
I will say that the fish competition we caught I was really, ok REALLY, suprised to see all these grown men pull up in sparkly, shinny fishing boats so bright you almost have to wear sunglasses to look at them.    Even my daughter and step grand daughter were suprised and offered to put sparkly nail polish on our boat so we would match - hubby declined.  I just dont get that part of it but oh well,  I would rather have a boat more like this one....
Duckworth boat (click on photo for link)

Or this one - that looks like fun! 

Crestwood pontoon boat (click on photo for link)



I hope everyone is having a great summer and is able to get out and do what they love best under the sun! 

Take care,

Annie

3 comments:

Rachel said...

that looks like some intense fishing gear. I honestly don't know anything about fishing but that looks intense

Karima said...

Thanks for the follow, now following you too! Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

About JollyJilly said...

Hi im following from the blog hop
looks like you had a fun day
please come visit me anytime over in the uk
www.jollyjillys.blogspot.com