Thursday, November 12, 2009

Color of my kitchen


Beth at The Stories of A to Z posted a picture of her kitchen that she wants to change the color.  Her kitchen is really cute and the colors she is picking are really great but I wanted to show her my kitchen color.  Not because I have the best kitchen in the world - i love it and for me thats ok.  But more that I think the concept would look really nice in her kitchen.  Its a faux finish.


Here is a close up showing the layers (and I mean layers - like 6 lol) of paint.  Actually the first layer was a bright burgundy and the several other layers were more of a putty/paste consistancy.  It was troweled on and scraped off over the course of a couple of days. 


And here is the other side of the room.

The paint was ordered before we decided to buy the home.  We would walk through while it was being built as we decided to buy.   Once we did then the kitchen was finished.  Everday my mom and I would come in and see the kitchen being finished.  One the first day we were like " Oh nice, the kitchen is going to be red" then we would come in the next day to find that a light cream was scraped over the top making the kitchen look very light but speckled with the burgundy color.  Then the next day there would be a glaze over it.  This went on for several days.  Aparantly the guy hired was an out of work artist - SOOO lol he took his work very seriously.  It wasnt until everything was done and a finishing glaze was put over the top did I really know he was "done".  At first I would get mixed reactions from women coming over - alot of them would touch my walls.  It is very textured but surprisingly not heavy looking.

I do think that it could be done by a homeowner by just masking off the cabinets and using the same type of thick paint. 
Whatever she picks im sure it will look great!  Good luck and happy painting!!

Annie

2 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

This is so very cool, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to recreate it! Unfortunately for me, this has to be a do-it-myself job due to finances. You are a lucky lady to have such an amazing kitchen! It has a very old-world appeal to it which I adore. Thanks for sharing it with me :).

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Wow - 6 layers! That's a lot.