Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My "after" project - magazine rack

This was going to be a "before and after" post.  I was so excited even tho I only did a few changes.  Then, the worst happened and I deleted my "before" photo.  That's how bad my camera is (or my photography skills). 

Anyhow, after my mishap I wasn't going to post it at all.  But then all day long I kept thinking about it and every time I saw it I just knew I wanted to share.  So here goes...

My "After" project...

I so tickled by the way it came out.  Yeah I know a bit over the top but I really love this one.  WHY? because for ages now Sweetheart has been leaving his reading materials in the loo.  (ok bathroom but loo sounds so much more charming).  Plus my master bathroom has a small room just for the toilet (to make it feel special lol) and so when you are in that little room you just sit and stare at a BLANK WALL.  Oh My Hello.  If your like me you know staring at a blank wall for any length of time about kills me.

SO... I saw this rack at a garage sale last week.  In my before photo it was silver with blank canvas.  Ok but it didn't really match all the black and bronze I have.  So I painted it all black and then dry brushed bronze metallic paint over the top.  Then I realized that the canvas is actually just velcroed on.  Very cool! So I peeled it off and went into my office to decorate.  I used Office Depot Canvas cloths.


I LOVE them.  Ok like them a lot and go through a ton of them.  I then printed out 2 cute graphics from The graphics Fairy.  A queen crown and a king crown (hers and his in basic terms).  I then just went out to my workshop and sewed them onto the front.  I thought about a ruffle around it or some flowers but it is a his and hers bathroom and so I kinda liked it basic. 

Now when I go in there for um never you mind, I see Sweethearts magazines all neatly kept in his area.  I think I love his and hers stuff cause I just LOVE being married to him. 

7 comments:

{northern cottage} said...

super super cute AFTER - I'm so glad you shared (even without the before!)

Megan Gunyan said...

Yes, I agree, I'm glad you shared, too. I never would have heard of canvas cloths! I must try some! Great project.

Rebecca said...

The crowns are so cool!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

That turned out super cute! I love the crowns :)

~Lori @ Paisley Passions
Join my Linky Party Thrilling Thursdays

RootsAndWingsCo said...

How fun. I love magazine racks...honestly, I especially love them in the "loo". I mean, who doesn't need one in there!?
Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

Donene said...

I love how they turned out and thanks for the canvas cloth tip! I am a follower! I am from Idaho alsCan you help me out? I am in a contest because of a recent post that I did on my weight loss. There is a contest on Face Book and I need you to vote! I am so close and I don't want the other guy to win! Just click on the link below and like that page (up at the top) then in the left hand column find my picture( I’m the one in the black bathing suit) under photo's 4 of 14 click(SEE All) and leave a comment under my picture! Thanks!!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lehi-UT/Kristi-Approved/391083710513
You might have to copy and paste it into your browser.
o!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Still loving this! Thanks for linking it up to Thrilling Thursdays too!