Saturday, September 18, 2010

Graveyard bones tutorial

Last night I wanted something to do to relax.  I decided since I was about to decorate for Halloween that I would do a Halloween decor craft.  I looked at my decor that I already had and decided that I needed BONES.  - at least ones bigger than what I had.  So this is what I came up with....

Here is how you make them if you want an easy relaxing project to hang out and watch Walle.


My supplies:

aluminum foil
paper mache
gesso
antique gel
foam brush
old sock

I started by mixing the paper mache in a tub..

I then made a bone shape out of aluminum foil and started to cover it with a thin layer of paper mache..
As soon as they were covered and looked like a white bone I put them in the oven on 100 with the door cracked just to help them dry faster.  When they were dry they looked like this. 
I then painted a light coat of Gesso all over them and let it dry.  Then I took my sponge brush and dabbed antique gel into the cracks and rubbed it off with my trusty old sock.


And then let them dry and they were all done!

I will probably rearrange them a couple of times before Im ok with it but for now I have bones freshly dug up out of the grave!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a new follower from the blog hop
Living Out Loud
http://lgreenss.blogspot.com

I love your Bones, had to retweet to my 14,000+ followers. so cool

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

very cute, great idea!

Cristie said...

What a great idea! Looks like you have a great family!

Carole said...

how fun!

Lorie said...

Those are so great!! I need some of those for an apothecary jar!

Thanks for linking them up to Show and Tell Saturday!!

Brittany Lewis said...

Good idea! They look great. Im a new follower, check out my blog too if you get a chance.

the cape on the corner said...

those looks great! i just picked up some of those tombstones from the dollar store, and can't wait to use them.

ArtfullyJune said...

I love this idea and I have a paper casting kit I was going to give away. Now I can use it and get some great bones for Halloween.

Found your blog through Fabulous Friday.

Megan Gunyan said...

This is a great project! So great, that I featured you on my blog! Come by and grab a button to add to your collection. ;) Have a great day!
Meg
alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Sawdust Girl said...

These are awesome! I've never seen that product before. Do you have to mix this paper pulp with glue? I guess if I could find the product I could read the instructions. I just love these...I definitely want to make some of these.

1 Funky Woman said...

Wow, I am so impressed that you did this! I want some!

New follower, and I linked up too!

Megan

Becky B. said...

Great tutorial - thanks for sharing all the details! LOVE your blog...I'm a follower now!

Ambrosia said...

New follower! Love these bones, they came out great!!

Sawdust Girl said...

Thanks for linking up this weekend. I featured this today.

Envymycooking said...

Found your blog through links! Love your blog!
If you ever need new recipes or want to be featured..than please come become a follower to see daily updates and email us if you would like us to feature you!!!

Ginger said...

How neat! Thanks for linking up to The Halloween Scene!